TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 15:35:08 +0100
I think to get informed answers you need to be more specific in your
question.
By NiAu do you mean ENIG (electroless nickel immersion gold)? The copper
tracks are coated with nickel which is itself then protected with a very
thin layer of gold.
There are several types of tin finish: electroless, electrolytic and
immersion. Which do your people have in mind?
The usual one is immersion and is presumably what is meant by chemical tin.
The advantage of immersion tin is that it is less expensive than alternative
finishes, but no benefit is without a cost.
So immersion tin produces a very thin layer with limited shelf life. The tin
diffuses slowly into the underlying copper to produce an unsolderable
intermetallic. Before that though the protection offered to the copper is
found by some to be limited anyway. It certainly can be supplier dependent
and so a variable finish.
You should also be aware of the problem of tin whiskers. The cause is not
fully understood but is usually attributed to stresses in the tin which
responds by extruding or growing whiskers. These can become random additions
to your circuitry.

Regards

Mike Fenner
Bonding Services & Products