TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 08:35:51 -0500
Hi Julie - there is a very good paper in the Journal of Electronic
Materials (JEM) covering the issue of gold dissolution and formation of
AuSn4 IMC due to the presence of nickel (back in 2010 I think). Before
ENIG was introduced as a printed circuit board finish, the rule of thumb
was if the gold was adequately dispersed in the solder joint then there
was not chance of forming the AuSn4 IMC  as long as the overall gold
content of the solder joint was keep below the 5% range. As you mentioned,
the Gibbs free energy is such that when there is nickel plating layer
present, the metallurgical kinetics favor the formation of the AuSn4 IMC
rather than keeping the gold distributed. So our old rule of thumb needs
some modification when using ENIG - basically smaller solder joints could
be more prone to having a gold embrittlement issue than previously
thought. One option for the QFN - procure them with a tin finish rather
than a gold finish to avoid the pretinning issues.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins