TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2013 13:03:42 -0400
Inge,

As you likely guessed, I used the Arrhenius equation all the time to perform
accelerated aging testing on wire bonds.

As long as one knows the activation energy/s of the intermetallics it proved
to be a good reliability predictor - at least I felt so.  And still
functioning parts would appear to back that up.

For specific applications, I find it a useful tool - e.g. - intermetallic
growth rates.

We always viewed the Mil Std as the 'outline', the bare-bones minimum, the
'starting point'.  Any reasonably controlled process would exceed the Mil
Std [from a microelectronics point of view] by 5-10X.

FWIW - Steve C