TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 09:38:24 +0300
There are a number of potential causes. A common one is the exposure of
solder mask fillers because the cleaning removes the surface molecules
of the solder mask. This is largely cosmetic but it may mean the mask is
insufficiently cured. As you state (or I did in the earlier exchange!),
heat will allow the filler to sink in.

Another common cause is that a resin (synthetic or rosin) or carboxylic
activator from the flux has spread and hydrolysed. This indicates a
potential incompatibility of the flux and cleaning chemistries. This was
common in the days of cleaning DIN 8511 F-SW32 type fluxes in CFC-113
azeotropes, as well as aqueous cleaning of many modern fluxes. The
residues, which are not necessarily ionic, may form a hydrogen bond to
low MW components of the solder mask whose surface may be incompletely
polymerised.

There are five pages devoted to these phenomena described in more detail
in my book from p. 157 ff.

You should determine the cause and take measures to eliminate it, rather
than work in the dark. This means a series of systematic diagnostic
tests and can be a painful process because you may have combinations of
up to about half-a-dozen contributory factors, some of which may require
expensive analyses. Empirical trial-and-error is usually unsatisfactory.

Hope this helps.

Brian