TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 13:13:18 +0000
Kevin,
Here my 2 cents: (1) Aero = the real one with vacuum are good, OSP not much of issue (2) Aero that sitting on the soil rotting are bad, you need to either take care at box level (seal it all) or cover the exposed copper (osp finishing the edge of the solder pads usually are not soldered - exposed copper).  If you coat the board, may be not issue so much.  (3) single reflow side is good = you can choose the thinner OSP.  However, the shelf life and storage condition is a bit restricted.  But easy to solder, if you follow the MFG instruction - compare to the thick OSP (4) there are different OSPs, immidazole - ATT's favor, benzotriazole - used to be IBM's flavor for example. Water soluble flux is aggressive, you need to watch your process window.  (5) reflow might be a bit lower than your usual temperature, since it would be wet faster than ImAg I expect... just a guess.  My 1.92 cents.

Joyce Koo
Researcher
Materials Interconnect Lab
Office: (519) 888-7465 79945