TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 13:32:27 -0700
A repair is due to damage. Rework is due to assembly error.
A thought from Mike Bogden, Engineer

My follow up on that thought: "Rework" is "Repair waiting to be needed".
===

Why wait for a "standard" to do tracking of rework and repair? The
requirement exists in-house.
The better you track both of these, the better and quicker you can fix these
problems in order to improve quality and bottom line.
It helps if you determine the cost of each individual of these problems so
that you can tackle the most costly ones first. And cost should include time
to analyze cause of the problem, determining frequency of problem, cost of
component involved, cost of time lost, maybe even the cost impact of field
failures (hard to put a number on).

Ahne.

PS: I have stated before: some people are very proud of their rework
department, but should not be of the fact they need one.