TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 11:17:42 +0300
OK, am expecting the boys very shortly. Am giving them a tricky job this
time, checking my weather station calibration (except the anemometer, as
I don't have a standard-traceable means for that!).

There is a puzzle here regarding tin. As you know, the name Cyprus and
copper are etymologically the same, because of the rich copper mines on
the island. although which came first is unknown. The Copper Age started
here and vast quantities of copper were exported in the form of
skin-shaped ingots from the late Neolithic (c. 5500 BCE). The earliest
bronze artefacts date from ~3300-3200 BCE and were developed ±
simultaneously here, Egypt and Phoenicia. It is probable that the
invasion of Cyprus by the Phoenicians date from between then and 3000
BCE, for the copper, and the modern Cypriot is largely descended from
them, as are most Levantines. Tin from Cornwall and Brittany was not
known to have been exploited much before 2000 BCE, about the same time
as the Phoenicians reached those necks of the woods and analyses of
post-2000 BCE bronze produced here and elsewhere confirm the source of
tin. The great unknown was where the tin came from before that time
(most early bronze contained only <5% tin, so it was obviously in short
supply).

For the anecdote, I recollect using a good rosin-cored solder wire from
France with the brand name Tinia, no doubt named after the Etruscan god.
I can't find anything about this brand on the 'Net.

Brian