TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 17:03:17 -0400
Same here Harvey.  Glad to hear my former employer (when it was Lockheed Research Labs) is still doing good work.

One of their very clever inventions is what's called a "rubber mirror". It's a correcting element now in most astronomical telescopes. An old friend of mine, Nick Marshall, did the EE work to drive the many piezo elements supporting hexagonal mirror segments.

http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/public/research/AO/

 Not many industrial research laboratories left in the USA. The first such lab was created by Thomas Edison, BTW.

We used to be a lot more competitive in the world. Transistors, lasers, cosmic background radiation, Shannon's work on communications theory....

Bob

Sent from my iPhone