TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:30:00 +0000
Steve,

I looked into this back in 2006.

Bivar wouldn't tell me the chemical makeup of their Diss-o-pads.  So we did not go there.  Besides they add another labor step to install each one.  When we need to raise a part above the board (typically power resistors and high voltage diodes) we use pieces of G-10 (FR-4) that were snap-off rails from circuit boards added together if needed for different heights.  Place them under the component and then top solder (yes, I know that is bad practice).  Slide out the FR-4 and we are done.

But keep in mind this is my opinion with no scientific evidence to back it up.  I didn't want to take any chances of messing up my Carbon and Resin beds at $600 per change out.

Phil Nutting