TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 00:33:51 +0000
Leaded QFP is easy to get access to the chip.  Cut the leads off, you pop the chip easy.  In addition, nowadays, you can get some precision de-lid instrument come down to the near surface of chip level.  It is hard to protect it as after thoughts.  If you want secure at concept level, it is a different story.  You can pot something in stuff similar to cement if you packaged well and make sure it fracture when it experience excessive stress (either by removing or bias.  If not bias properly, it would fry for example.  But that still may not prevent someone to get few of them to do an reverse eng.  The trick would be, make sure it is not widely in circulation for example, or it become cost prohibitive or time prohibitive).  It is all in the design.  If your design is done, it is difficult to protect it.  Too late. If someone really want to get it, there is nothing to stop him with a leaded package.  My 2 cents.
Sent using BlackBerry