TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:30:36 -0400
Eva,

You should ask the formulator for this information.  Really attempt to nail
them down and get them to provide real, and detailed data - one real live
part types.

In general, it is quite difficult to get most adhesives to adhere to the
diverse surfaces finishes presented in SMD work, at temperatures that the
SMD assembler [and components] will tolerate.  Making it more flexible is
only one factor to consider.

Mechanical, thermal, or other environmental stresses typically quickly show
the weak links.

Side note - if "cured" over the weekend, I suspect that it is more of a
humidity cure RTV than an "epoxy" based system.  Do you smell acetic acid
[vinegar] during cure?  = bad idea.  Or do you smell more of an alcohol?  =
okay.  Silicones have a nasty way of tending to migrate to places you don't
really want them to go... switches, connectors,

Can your production live with a 48-72 hr cure?

I would be sure to ask the formulator whether the material has an epoxy
backbone, or a silicone backbone so that I could get a better grasp of its
mechanical properties.  I am assuming that if it is a silicone, under normal
conditions, it will already be above its Tg, and therefore already in it
'high expansion' state.  I also make the generalization that it will remain
flexible until down in the -20 to 0°C range [subject to the specifics of the
material]

Steve C