TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:24:10 +0000
Eva,

On which surface did the joints fail - the terminations or the HASL pads? My guess is the latter, as adhesion is typically suspect at this interface with this finish. You might also see electrical integrity deteriorate with time at a silver epoxy/solder interface, due to oxide formation. It would be better to have a noble finish on the pcb as well - gold or even clean copper.

I don't think I have heard of a silicone-based conductive adhesive used for SMD bonding, but there are thermoplastic formulations around. If you do want to use an epoxy-based formulation, then you should get better results using a thermal cure rather than just room temperature.

Regards,
Peter

Peter Swanson
Managing Director
INTERTRONICS, Oxford, England
t 01865 842842
m 07785 908556
e [log in to unmask]
w www.intertronics.co.uk

Read our news! http://www.intertronics.co.uk/blog/blog.htm

INTERTRONICS is the trading name of Cygnet Electronics Ltd,
registered in England No 1835617. Registered office:
17 Station Field Industrial Estate, KIDLINGTON, Oxfordshire, OX5 1JD, ENGLAND
INTERTRONICS is certified to ISO 9001:2008