TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:50:54 +0000
Or you could scrape or otherwise abrade the pad and see if it takes solder.  If it does, the pad is still there.  However, you will have removed the evidence which could have given you more of a clue as to how this happened metallurgically.

During the test with the flex circuits I referred to previously, the gray, non-wettable intermetallic was made instantaneously--if it was some kind of oxide, it wasn't a slow growth process!  I'd LIKE to know the chemistry of how that happens, but I went deep enough to convince myself that it wasn't indicative of any problem other than the rework technique used.

Naturally, this type of stuff gives us the "willies" because of concern about the reliability of adjacent joints, and the suspicion of some kind of oxide or intermetallic disease which renders the remainder of the boards unusable.

To feed this gnawing worm, I find it is better to just start tearing apart and sectioning adjacent joints, as well as relying on thermal cycling, biased temperature/humidity testing, etc. to gauge reliability.

Wayne