TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:52:03 +0000
Hi Steve-

I see this often.

Solder has some very weird characteristics sometimes, especially during the rework process, and especially when it is reworked with a large thermal gradient.

The first place I analyzed this was with some resistors that came off of some very thin flex.  Gray intermetallic residue left over, and it wouldn't wet.  This happened to be on the flex pad, not the resistor, but you can easily have it the other way 'round.  It took me quite a while to replicate what the mechanics were of how to create this stuff, but I finally got it:  I attached a resistor to the pads, then I put bending stress on the flex in a way where I was trying to peel the flex from the resistor.  Then I took a very hot soldering iron and put the tip directly in contact with the flex underneath one of the resistor pads (the iron on the opposite side of the thin flex -2mil flex- from the resistor).  When the solder melted, the flex peeled off and this non-wetting gray intermetallic resulted.

Since then I've seen this a handful of times, and always associated with a combination of heat and physical stress.  I've never tried to see exactly what intermetallic is going on--probably copper and tin.

Wayne Thayer