TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:12:24 -0600
Hi All,

I have another question about the QFN16 that I was talking about last
week. I was sent a photo of the bottom of one of the devices after it
had been removed from a failed board. It is here:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/QFN16_Corrosion.jpg

It's pointing out a pad that seemed to have a lot of corrosion on it and
I was told that solder would not wet to it. I was asked what might cause
this?

My first thoughts are that the appearance might have been caused by the
rework when it was removed, and that a un-solderable intermetallic has
formed on pad  but I can't say that for sure. The part is finished with
matte tin when it is supplied. When a part is tin finished, they have a
barrier nickel plate beneath the tin right?

I don't have the part in front of me, I only got sent the photo. I was
asked what my thoughts were, so I thought I'd ask my TechNet friends
too... :o)

Thanks,

Steve Gregory