TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
"Nowland, Russell Howard (Russell)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nowland, Russell Howard (Russell) <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:35:31 +0000
David,

Like Jason said Filled VIP is not a new technology and has been around for a decade now.  You do need an experienced supplier as it can get messy otherwise.  You need to look at the material you are going to use and make sure the material can withstand your process, i.e. thermal, CTE, etc.  I don't know your design parameters so I cannot give you a lot more details but there are ways to cap the filled via to give you a more solderable surface.  If you are going to do epoxy filled watch the position of the via as it can compromise the integrity of the solder joint.

What diameter VIP to you have and on what size and type of device?

RUSSELL NOWLAND
ALCATEL-LUCENT
REPAIR STRATEGY & SUPPLIER MANAGEMENT
14000 Quail Spring Parkway, Suite 100