TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
"Furrow, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Furrow, Robert
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:00:17 +0000
Hi All,

One additional question regarding use of filled/plugged vias. With the plated hole in the pad, how much temperature differential might that induce when the design has inner pads on a BGA with the copper plated hole (vias) and the outer pads don't? I would expect the inner pads to have a lower maximum temperature to begin with due to less exposure to both convection and radiant heat when going through a typical reflow oven. Add to that the conduction into the board by the copper in the via holes and I suspect there will be an additional temperature difference between the solder joints on the outer pads without vias and the inner pads with them. Has anyone determined the magnitude of this effect?

Thanks,
Bob Furrow
Quality Assurance Engineer
Honeywell Aerospace - Sarasota