TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, MacFadden, Todd
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:30:54 +0000
Hi David,

Some PCB suppliers will drill and plate the filled holes first (then fill, cure and planarize); then they go back and drill and plate the non-filled holes. This means the outer layer will see two plating cycles so, depending on your line width/space requirements some PCB suppliers will need to reduce the starting foil weight (for example if you want Hoz + plating, you may need to go to 1/3 oz + plating to get desired final Cu thickness).

But other suppliers drill and plate everything at once, and then selectively fill the target holes, in which case there is no need to adjust. So you might want to ask about their process flow for via-in-pad.

Also, check out IPC-6012, Section 3.6.2.11.2, which defines acceptable cap plate, and dimple and bump thicknesses.

Todd