TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Vladimir Igoshev <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:46:57 +0000
Techneters,

I have another tricky question.

We see separation at the Cu pad/laminate interface. The area is rather small (20 microns in section), BUT it's located at the periphery of BGA pads.

My concern is that the separation will act as a stress concentrator causing pad cratering, once the BGA is placed.

I'm positive it's a real scenario, as we investigated a similar case over a year ago.

According to 6012C the board is acceptable (at least from my understanding).

The question is: Is there a way  to legitimately reject the board?

Regards,

Vladimir

SENTEC Testing Laboratory Inc.
11 Canadian Road, Unit 7.