TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
Dick Hatano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dick Hatano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 16:45:19 +0000
Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to go to this can of worms again, but whenever the subject comes up I seem to gather equal and opposite advise on whether or not it is better to remove un-used via lands on internal layers.
I normally leave them in unless there is an unusual overriding factor.

This time I am asking specifically with respect to a board that is on the edge of the allowed aspect ratio.
I have some theoretical leanings, but was wondering if anyone can refer to some empirical evidence they've collected that makes the choice more clear.
So, if I'm using a drill size that is getting quite small for the thickness with several internal layers, would it make more sense to leave the internal lands in place (all else being unremarkable: materials, thermal, SI, operating voltages, etc.)?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Richard Hatano