TECHNET Archives

April 2013

From:
"Goodyear, Patrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Goodyear, Patrick
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:28:07 +0000
Sorry for the late reply but I just got back from vacation.
So I have had the need to perform soldering using a butane powered soldering iron, wasn't ideal but it did work quite well.   Here was the scenario, 250' in the air on a Meteorological tower soldering a four conductor connector for an RTD onto the cable going down the tower, a 10Knot wind at 50 deg.F blowing off of the ocean 400 feet below.  No AC power available, the cordless irons ran out of battery before the joint was hot enough to get good wetting.   We tried a 100 watt battery operated gun and that also didn't work very well tip was the size of a pencil.  So out comes my butane solder torch with the medium size tip, it worked amazingly well the hard part was getting it lit, the wind kept blowing out the lighter.   We used a large paper cup as a wind screen, poked the connector in the bottom.  Soldering with gloves on is not easy.

I use the small butane torch quite a bit for sliver soldering, I think the melt is around 1200 deg., but I don't use the solder tips only the flame in  that case.

Pat