TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:15:49 -0500
Bob K,

Last Friday I visited Rochester Electronics warehouse here in Newburyport MA - the tour was from 0930 to 1330 - quite a campus they have.  A very interesting company (that I didn't know existed).  They stock and manufacture obsolete semiconductor lines from 60+ manufacturers!  They have an enormous collection of IP from RubyLith Amber to 9 track IBM tapes to CDs.  A huge room full of semiconductor testing instruments such as Teradyne and Schumblerger IC testers.  Many different OS's (like OS2) are supported as many of the test instruments are old (to test very old parts).  Need 80186 CPUs?  They fab them.  8039s?  6800s? 68000s?  ECL 10K and 100K.  Windowed ceramic proms (you can have any package you like, from commercial to industrial to space qual.

I needed a Maxim part that was discontinued; Maxim suggested I check with them.  They had 3000+ of them!  They accept obsolete stock from all the distributors.  The wareghouses look like they are from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" :-)) No counterfit issues.  JEDEC, NASA, DOD all approve of their facilities.  They also can reverse engineer a part if the IP has been lost.

They keep all their unpackaged die in dry cabinets purged continually with N2 from a large tank of LN2 outside the building.

Bob L.