TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 08:50:25 -0700
Hi Guy,
 Uve already got guru's advice, so maybe I don't add much of interest. Only
tell you that we had a nightmare with Indium soldering to gold. The result
was rhat we banned Indium for the next coming 1,000 years.  Why? I'll brief
you and if you want deeper insight, you should contact the old english
Indium man. Nobody beats him, natural after half life at Indium.

So what...

Independent of what Indium alloy you use, the first phase when soldering
with SAC or other high-Tin solders, is the formation of a AuIn2 layer. This
takes only seconds. The  process eats at least 1 micrometer of gold. If the
gold is thinner, there will not be a correct IMC and the component will
loosen when thermomechanically exposed. So, remember: the gold that you
solder to, must be thicker than 1 um!

Furhermore, if your total solder joint is thin, let's say 15 um or thinner,
AND you have a thick gold, there is a risk of a second IMC, namely Au9In2.
It's not ternary, just one single phase and is known for its brittlement
and having overall lower data than AuIn2. If the soldering top temperature
is too long, you may even get Kirkendall voids,which makes Au9In2 even more
brittle.

I hope I remember the above correctly. I worked with tat problem about 30
years ago!

Inge

PS there is a an old paper in my Dropbox under  'Soldering....' The
headline is " Aspects on Indium Soldering...'  I have better reports, but
don't know where they are..