TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:49:12 +0000
SAC305 will suck up gold instantly.  The SnAu eutectic is apparently a pretty low energy state, so it really wants to be made.  The alloy is 80% Au, 20% Sn by weight, so the gold will disappear until that equation is satisfied.  And I do mean instantly:  While soldering near gold wirebonds (for a prototype), a solder ball about 3mils in diameter went flying and went clean through two wirebonds in line, leaving the remaining wire ends just hanging in space as if they were connected.  It lodged in the 3rd bond!

I realize that the Indium is pricey, and as paste it doesn't have a long shelf life.  Usually better to use preforms, or shave some wire solder yourself.  Depends on your throughput.

Do keep in mind that Indium is basically incompatible with copper, so it probably isn't a good choice for use with a copper plated circuit board unless you're quite sure the nickel barrier will keep the metals separated during reflow.

Conductive epoxy may sound pretty good by now.... The world standard is Epotek H20E which is available as a two part mix.

Wayne Thayer