TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 07:59:13 -0500
Hi folks - Here is the Friday Element Quiz Question:

The Question:
This element was thought to be another allotropic form of carbon at one
time. Most of this element is obtained as a by-product of nickel refining
from Canadian nickel in Ontario - but less than 100 kilograms are produced
each year.  The word "smell". What is the element is being described?

The winner of the weekly element quiz will get the services of Clumpy and
Kloumpios for the week.

So far Clumpy and Kloumpios have done the following:

Past Quiz winners/tasks:
Week 1 Dick Krug,  Spartan Complex Systems
Week 2 Laura Turbini, IRC
Week 3 James Head, Crowcon Detection Instruments Limited
Week 3 Pat Goodyear, PGE

Week 4 Joe Russeau, Precision Analysts Laboratory
- assisted with running an ion chromatograph and see how adept they are at

reviewing SIR data.

Week 5 Tom Carroll, Boeing Defense, Space and Security
- The boys arrived and immediately ate pizza and drank 2 bottles of my
best wine. Then they got very excited and said something about hidden
treasure at the southern tip of Italy and before I knew it they were on
their tractor singing and headed south. I didn't even get a chance to ask
them if they could help with my current risk reduction task. Well they got
back last night and started to tell me some fantastic stories about a
place called the Regional Natural Park Costa Otranto-Santa Maria di Leuca
e Bosco di Tricase. This is a regional park of Puglia, Italy and of
particular importance is the "hidden" fauna, delicate ecosystem that
invites many species of bats and rare appearances of aquatic fauna in dark

environments of the caves, some partially submerged, in the Park. The boys

told me that some of their relatives actually settled in this area many
centuries ago and they went to visit them. They also told me about the
area around the park. There are fortified farms all over the countryside
with beautiful noble villas that tower above the farms and overlook the
area. This is a strategic place and has always been a crossroad for past
civilizations. I most go visit this place.  Anyway the boys are now rested

and ready for their next adventure. So much for helping me but I was very
glad to see them and have some company.

Week 6 Steve Gregory
- assisted with packing for Steve's next cross country move.

Week 7 Phil Kinner, PVA
- assisted with booth duty at a French tradeshow and then helped get an
Easter egg hunt ready for 20 kids

Week 8 ????
- assisted with ????

Everyone have a safe week!