TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:41:26 +0200
Okay, Doug,

Defining a void is relatively easy: it is an area which has not been
wetted by the conformal coating. A bubble is less easy to define because
there are different kinds of bubbles. In the context, the general
definition is an area where there is no adhesion to the substrate and
where the conformal coating forms a skin, proud of the substrate
surface, and generally containing a gas, which may be air or solvent
vapour. Depending on the cause, there may be or may not be a thin layer
of conformal coating on the substrate under the bubble.

Bubbles may be formed by a number of different mechanisms, including:
– uneven spraying of the coating material with unsuitable air pressure
– entrapment of air bubbles in immersion coating
– unsuitable conditions for curing solvent-based coatings, where the
surface dries too rapidly, leaving solvent trapped underneath which
subsequently evaporates
– moisture absorbed through the coating that has been applied over
hygroscopic contaminants (vesication or mealing).
Ideally, it is better to eliminate the cause, rather than to have to
judge whether the bubbles are acceptable for a given application or not.

With regard to the numbered sentences:
1. If the area under a bubble contains only solder mask or other
non-reactive surface, it is true that there may be no reduction of
reliability of the assembly. Nevertheless, I feel that there is the
possibility of defective application of the conformal coating and the
cause should be determined before accepting or otherwise the defective
assembly (I assume that we are talking about high reliability assemblies).

2. I did use the term "two bare conductors"! Whether there is a thin
film of coating on the conductors or not depends upon the cause of the
defect. The thickness of the thin film that may be acceptable is
arbitrary and could depend, for example, on the voltage difference
between the conductors.

3. I am not aware of any published information. My arbitrary 30% is
based (from memory) on the acceptability of inclusions in solder masks,
on the assumption of an analogy. My >10 V is also arbitrary, based on
gut feeling!

4. Why two bubbles per square decimetre? I would consider that more than
two bubbles would be indicative of bad workmanship, rather than some
form of accident, no matter the size of them. As for your second
question, I think you will find the answer in the other thread which you
subsequently started.

5. The point I was trying to make here is that the conformal coating
should be conformal and not under-filling. Depending on the size of the
component, any under-filling would almost certainly entrap air. In any
case, if the space under a component is under-filled there may be
problems due to the coating material having a high volume coefficient of
temperature, which would risk a drop in reliability.

6. At last!

This leads to a long-felt niggle in industry generally, and in our
industry in particular. We seem to like every letter i to be dotted and
every t to have its stroke by having specifications written down in
great detail rather than having common sense. This may patronise the
members of our profession which now rely upon standards and
specifications more than allowing them to come to a conclusion by using
their eyes and brains. Anyone with more than half a monkey's brains
could probably judge whether a bubble compromises the quality of an
assembly or not with a simple glance, instead of which that person may
prefer to wade through reams of paper in order to find out whether he
should accept it or not as a defect. This same niggle applies, of
course, to many other problems that we may or may not have in our industry.

I think that this rant is worthy of a second two eurocents!

I have found the answer to the bailout crisis. I have converted all my
money into gold bars and buried them deeply in my vegetable patch which
does happen to require being dug over! :-)

Brian