TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:19:04 -0500
Rich Rich Rich,
You are supposed to answer all the hard questions for me so I don't have
to work so hard <grin>.

Let me ask the question another way.  Plexus, being a high quality
reputable EMS company, has acceptability standards on conformal coating
film quality, both your own and imposed upon you by your customers.  Do
your customers ever differentiate conditions where bubbles are acceptable?
 Or are they all - here are our specifications, but we have no idea where
they come from or their basis in reality?  I can't really point fingers in
this case.  Our own internal standards say that a bubble cannot be greater
than 90 mil diameter, or a cluster of bubbles cannot be greater than 90
mils.  Been that way for decades and damned if I can find any technical
studies here upon which that figure was founded.

The more I work on this, the more I realize that bubbles in coating are
something that is hard to quantify, but "I know it when I see it" kinda
thing.

And for #3, would you lump together all liquid coatings in terms of
bubbles, irregardless of coating chemistry, and make a separate set of
criteria for vapor deposited coatings such as Parylene?

Doug Pauls