TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:37:33 +0100
John,  I used to mold the specimen in well cured two-component Araldite, do
the polishing with oil and diamond plastic discs to avoid contamination of
the solder joint with polish particles. Use specimen rotating holder.Then
wipe the stub with finest tissue to remove oil. Avoid solvents. Then
perform a couple of minutes Argon sputtering, which will enhance the
difference in hardness, Finally do microscopy with polarized light and a
variable Nomarski lens, see page 119 here:
http://bama.ua.edu/~mweaver/courses/MTE481/5_MTE481-MICROSCOPE&MODES.pdf

There are many other methods of course, e.g. EDX element mapping mode,
which I have practiced many a times.

Inge