TECHNET Archives

March 2013

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Pete <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:05:59 -0500
This is s different problem than accepting the boards.  We did spec class II.  The assembly vendor isn't even involved in the discussion at this point.  The problem I'm trying to address is that one of the R&D groups in the company is treating this as though they are still building lab prototypes, and they have accepted these boards from the vendor as is, and I can't explain to them why it's a problem.  IPC-610 just annoys them.

A snapshot of the problem:  The lead engineer sent me 2 pictures, one of the part on the board showing toe fillets and leads hanging over the side, another of the upside down part showing heels that were well inside the pads.  His picture was meant to show:  "see, plenty of solder are, it's all good."  There are 2 of us in the company with any PC design experience, we both looked at the picture and said "see, a joint waiting to fail".  I'm trying to explain our translation of the pictures.

I did draw up a view of the leads over the pads, showed where fillets form or don't form, pointed out the stress points, mentioned the weight and leverage of an inductor... but they see solder and are happy.