TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:16:09 +0000
DOUG,

As long as you're not a Kaiser, I'll try to answer: "it depends". My answers will be based on the following assumptions:

*         The conformal coat (CC) material is current in its designated shelf life

*         The CC has been stored properly

*         The CC has been mixed or measured to assure proper application

*         The environmental conditions are proper in the CC room

*         The CC process has been qualified and the current process control indicators are all in the acceptable range

*         Coupons are available to establish initial acceptance and thickness requirements

*         The printed board assembly (PBA) has been cleaned to meet the substrate cleanliness requirement

*         The PBA has been dried if it was an aqueous cleaning process of any kind

*         The PBA was stored properly if not immediately coated after the cleaning and drying process

*         This is a single pass process

*         The PBA design is robust enough that the application of CC is only to negate the need to de-rate the performance in harsh environments, whereas the presence of bubbles that would reduce the effectiveness of the dielectric barrier are not a concern

*         This is only dealing with Type AR and UR

1.  Although those two groups have struggled with the grasp of process indicators and given the above I would accept bubbles as long as they didn't blur any areas that needed some visual inspection (marking, solder joints). Many people have wanted to always state a number, size or percent when it comes to the acceptability of voids of any kind.

2.  Again, given the above a bubble per say would not need a disposition. A bubble that is a large void which demonstrates loss of adhesion would be an example. In some cases a bubble in which a small filament wire passes through unsupported could be problematic.

3.  Again, given the above I think I have answered this.

Dewey