TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:30:59 +0000
For the other folks on Technet who may be listening.
Do not allow the solder pot heater to remain on as you drain the last of the molten solder from the pot. Some molten solder is required to keep the pot element from overheating. When you get down to the last few pounds of solder, turn off the pot heater. The remaining solder will stay molten for a short while in the pot, usually long enough to drain the last of it out.
Refer to your wave solder/selective solder machine manuals for instructions on how to drain and replenish. Some pots require solder bars to be cut up into chunks, or as you drain the solder you can pour some off into muffin pans to form small ingots. Line the bottom of the pot with these ingots or cut up chunks when you first turn the pot back on. They will quickly melt and protect the elements from going into thermal runaway.