TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
"Rivera, Raye" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rivera, Raye
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:54:05 -0700
Greetings all,

I would like to ask the group for an opinion on the following question:

Is it appropriate reject a through-hole solder joint as a defect under IPC-A-610E section 7.3.5.1 (barrel fill < 75%) based on x-ray inspection?

The reason for using x-ray is that the component is in the way and preventing visual inspection of the destination side.

I know that 610 is a visual standard. I see that Section 8.3.12 specifically states that x-ray can be used to identify defects in the special case of BGAs. I find no such statement anywhere in section 7. And the standard is quite specific in calling out exactly what magnification and even lighting should be used for inspection. This leads me to believe that x-ray should NOT be used to identify through-hole defects.

Am I reading too much into this? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Raye Rivera

QA Manager * Canoga Perkins
20600 Prairie Street * Chatsworth * CA 91311-6008