TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Yu-Shan Han <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Yu-Shan Han <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:20:58 -0700
Hi Steve, Your suspicion is right that there shouldn't be such a big difference of estimating the correct tin add.  Derrick's spreadsheet is the simplest way to work with and it shows the same results as obtaining from the formulas in IPC-JSTD-001 Handbook.  The AIM method is flawed because it doesn't take into account of the amount of tin removed from the pot.  A mass balance should look like this: Theoretical (Final) amount of tin in the pot = Tin add + Tin remained in the pot after decant, in your case, 500 (63%) = A + (500 - A) (60.25%) - this is the CASE 1 equation in the handbook. A = 34.59 lb Thus 14 lb add will not get the pot in specification at all. Yu-Shan