TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 17:31:30 -0600
Hi Rob - it is my understanding that a typical solder reflow oven is not
capable on achieving and maintaining the inert atmosphere you would need
to achieve for the sintering of copper ink, at least in terms of my
interpretation of sintering copper. We are able to achieve a 10 ppm O2
contamination level in our reflow ovens due to some really good attention
to the nitrogen copper line connections running from the nitrogen tanks to
the reflow ovens. I don't know if that O2 contamination level is
sufficient for your process. Also, the typical reflow oven can only
maintain very low O2 contamination levels by pushing a high volume of N2
to avoid having air "drag in" from the entrance and exit openings of the
equipment.  There are a host of other oven options more suited for
creating a consistent, maintainable inert atmosphere  - the SMT soldering
process doesn't necessarily require a very pure inert reflow atmosphere to
get the benefit of improved wetting. Hope this helps.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins