TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Larry Dzaugis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:42:53 -0500
Going from tin lead to lead free, a tin wash is used to wash the pot and
pumps.
The material goes back for processing.

The last machine I changed to lead free, I used a spare pot and pumps that
I had inherited from a plant shut down.
The pot was due for a change as it was.

Most of the the solder can be ladled out. There may be no more than 30
pounds of solder left.
The machine takes over 1800 pounds of eutectic solder, depending on pot
size.

Be sure to closely examine the pot, pump and impellers.
Lead free is very aggressive. Tin wants to dissolve everything.
Found a socket head that looked like a crown after 2 years in the machine.
The 6622 could be getting up there in age, some are 15 years old with
obsolete electronics.
Had a 99 model refurbished before shipping the factory to Mexico.
Their inheritance from me when my plant shut down.

The model works well when maintained.