TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Per-Erik Tegehall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Per-Erik Tegehall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:17:07 +0000
It is not only IPC-7095C that warn against using ENEPIG in combination with SnPb soldering. In all papers I have, which have compared the reliability of solder joints to ENEPIG using SnPb and lead-free solders, the authors have all concluded that SnPb soldering gives solder joints that are much more prone to brittle fractures in the IMC layers than solder joints with SAC305 and especially after high temperature aging (list of references is given below). It seems as if it is the Cu in the solder that makes the difference since Sn3.5Ag also gives solder joints prone to brittle fractures whereas addition of Cu to SnPb eliminates the brittleness.

In all papers listed below, the evaluations of the reliability has been performed using high speed shear or pull testing, which is usually recommended for evaluation of the inclination for formation of brittle fractures. Thus, they do not tell the performance of the solder joints in a temperature cycling test. In fact, I have not seen any comparison of how the fatigue life of the solder joints of SnPb and SAC305, respectively, to ENEPIG is affected in temperature cycling tests.

The main objections I have to the evaluation referred to in IPC-4556 are that the shear testing was performed using a very low shear rate (500 µm/s) and that no testing was performed on thermally aged samples.

Regarding the dissolution rate, ENEPIG is available both with pure Pd and with Pd containing P, which most likely will affect the dissolution rate.

I should stress that I have no own experience of ENEPIG, I am only referring to what I have found in the literature.

Per-Erik Tegehall
Swerea IVF

References

Y. Oda, M. Kiso, S. Hashimoto, G. Milad, and D. Gudeczauskas, IMC Growth Study on Ni-P/Pd/Au Film and Ni-P/Au Film Using Sn/Ag/Cu Lead Free Solder, APEX 2006

Hugh Roberts, Sven Lamprecht, Christian Sebald, Mark Bachman, John Osenbach, Kishor Desai, Ron Huemoeller, YoonHa Jung, Robert Darveaux, Performance Evaluations of Surface Finish and Solder Alloy Configurations for BGA Solder Joint Reliability, Pan Pacific 2009, pp. 248-256

Kuldip Johal, Hugh Roberts, Sven Lamprecht, Electroless Nickel / Electroless Palladium / Immersion Gold Process For Multi-Purpose Assembly Technology, SMTAI 2004, pp. 508-515.

Yukinori Oda, Masayuki Kiso, Seigo Kurosaka, Akira Okada, Kota Kitajima, Shigeo Hashimoto, George Mila, Don Gudeczauskas, Study of Suitable Palladium and Gold Thickness in ENEPIG Deposits for Lead-free Soldering and Gold Wire Bonding, C. Uyemura and Corporation Ltd, Central Research Laboratory, Osaka, Japan. http://www.uyemura.com/images/library/ENEPIG-lead-free-solder-gold-wire-bonding-intermetallic.pdf

Chien Wei Lee, Liang Yi Hung, Chiang Cheng Chang, Yu Po Wang, C.S. Hsiao, The Investigation of Intermetallic Compound Morphology Effect on the Solder Joint Performance,
3rd International Microsystems, Packaging, Assembly & Circuits Technology Conference, IMPACT 2008, pp. 263-266

: G.Milad, D.Gudeczauskas, G.Obrien, A.Gruenwald, A Study of the ENEPIG IMC for Eutectic and LF Solders, http://www.uyemura.com/pdfs/ENEPIG-IMC-Eutectic-LF-Solder-SMTA-2010.pdf

Chun-Hsien Fu, Liang-Yi Hung, Don-Son Jiang, Chiang-Cheng Chang, Y. P. Wang, C.S. Hsiao, Evaluation of New Substrate Surface Finish: Electroless Nickel/Electroless Palladium/Immersion Gold (ENEPIG), ECTC 2008

George Milad and Don Gudeczauskas, Soldering and Solder Joint Reliability for Selected Surface Finishes with Lead Free SAC305 Alloy, SMTAI 2007

Bill Kao, Mustafa Oezkoek, Hugh Roberts, Pure Palladium in ENEPIG Surface Finishes - Physical properties of the Pd deposition and their influence on soldering and wire bonding, October 2010
http://www.atotech.com/data/pdf/papers_el/Pure_Palladium_in_ENEPIG_Surface_Finishes.pdf