TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Gregg Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gregg Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:43:00 +0000
I have an industry friend who asked me the following question and I did not have a good enough reply. So I thought I would put it out there on TechNet.

What are the possible problems with tin dipping a gold plated contact with 63/37 then soldering it in a (PCB) board using 60/40 solder ?

2.    What arguments could I use to move away from using the 60/40 and use just the 63/37 for the product (i.e. Do you believe one has any benefit over the other)?

3.    Are you aware of any problems mixing the solder types ? (63 / 37 and 60 / 40)

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Gregg Owens