TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Glidden, Kevin
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:33:20 +0000
Finally taking a few minutes to glance through some of the new IPC releases...

I see a statement within IPC-7095C, specifically section 5.3.3.3, that states ENEPIG is best suited for Pb-Free soldering, and that studies have shown ENEPIG does not produce very reliable tin/lead solder joints, due to the inability of Pd to alloy with lead.

I don't see any such warnings or statements in IPC -4556.  Or am I missing them?  If this is true, it seems like it would be a major consideration and would/should be included or mentioned in IPC-4556 Section 1.4.7 "Limitations of ENEPIG".

But, I could have it all wrong.  So far all I have done is glance through these new specs....

Kevin Glidden