TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:49:16 +0000
I don't think there is such a documented procedure detailed. The steps I would use are:

1. Wick all solder from the pad/lead to be lifted using unfluxed solder braid, just add flux approved by the program or process documentation to the braid. After all of the solder is removed, some will remain under the lead. Do not attempt to lift the lead yet.
2. Clean the solder tip and get as much solder off of the tip as possible.
3. Grasp the lead at mid-shin using a ceramic or high-temp polymer ESD-approved tweezer, and touch the pad with the solder tip. Gently apply upward pressure on the lead, and lift it just high enough to separate it from the pad (but no higher) when the remaining solder melts between the lead and the pad.
4. While holding the lead at the shoulder so no stress is applied where it enters the component body, use a second tweezers to lift and straighten the shin and foot of the lead.
5. Clean the area and dry.
6. If the pad is to be isolated, epoxy a shim over the pad per IPC 7711/7721, but do not get any epoxy on the lifted lead. Cure.
7. Flux and solder the jumper to the lifted lead (if required). Follow the rest of the steps in IPC 7711/7721.