TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:39:55 -0400
If you need to measure an electrostatic charge, you might look at this company's products.

I used them http://www.trekinc.com/products/esvm.asp for several consulting projects many years ago.

Trek makes excellent electrostatic voltmeters that can resolve charge on a very small surface.  Most, if not all, electrostatic copiers and laser printers use them in engineering.  Its a very esoteric field of instrumentation.

I had a consulting job with a company that was canning tomato paste in 55 gallon drums.  The drums were filled on a automated production line through a ~6" dia hole in the top.  The next step was to place plugs in the holes to seal the drums.  The plugs had a silicon rubber gasket that was cemented to the cap with adhesive applied by 4 Binks spray heads moving in a circle (the plugs were on stands upside down).  Occassionally a spray head would clog so they had to have a worker watching the line.  The company asked if I could figure out a way to eleiminate the need to watch the spray heads.  Find a way to detect that the spray had evenly coated the plug with adhesive (around the rim of the plug).

The answer was to charge the spray guns with a voltage of ~10V.  This was low enough not to cause an explosion from the volatile solvent in the adhesive.  The following inspection station had a Trek electrostatic voltmeter probe aimed at the plug rim as it went by and rotated 360 degrees.  If a plug went by that had uneven or no charge at all then an alarm would be triggered by the voltmeter's analog output driving a relay, sounding an alarm and stopping the line, and calling a worker to clear the clogged spray head.

It worked -))

Bob L.