TECHNET Archives

March 2013

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:45:30 +0000
You are most welcome, Doug.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:21 AM
To: TechNet E-Mail Forum; Stadem, Richard D.
Subject: Re: [TN] Which ESD Standard

Thank you Sir. Just the kind of response I was looking for.  Much appreciated.

Doug Pauls

From:        "Stadem, Richard D." <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To:        <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date:        03/12/2013 08:17 AM
Sent by:        TechNet <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
________________________________

I would imagine you would want to test the Human Body model, except exchange the word "fingertip" with "brush":

7.1.1. Human Body Model Sensitivity:
A source of ESD damage is the charged human body, as modeled by HBM standards. This testing
model represents the discharge from the fingertip of a standing individual delivered to the conductive
leads of the device. It is modeled by a 100 pF capacitor discharged through a switching component and
1,500 ohm series resistor into the device under test. The discharge itself is a double exponential
waveform with a rise time of 2-10 nanoseconds and a pulse duration of approximately 150 nanoseconds.
The use of a 1,500 ohm series resistor means this model approximates a current source. All devices
should be considered as HBM sensitive. The HBM ESD sensitivity of devices may be determined by
testing the device using one of the referenced test methods. HBM sensitivities can be found in RAC
VZAP, Qualified Manufacturers, List of Products (QML-19500) or Qualified Manufacturer List (QML-
38535).

Then go to the test references in Table 2:

Table 2 - ESD Susceptibility Test References for Devices
ESD
MODEL
ESD Standards and Methods for Susceptibility Testing of
Devices
HBM ESD STM5.1
MIL-STD-883 Method 3015
MIL-STD-750 Method 1020
MIL-PRF-19500
MIL-PRF-38535
MM ESD-STM5.2
CDM ESD DS5.3.1

To summarize; consider the brush to be part of the operator, and test accordingly.

<[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date:   03/12/2013 07:52 AM

Just curious, are you testing the brush dry or dipped in coating?

Lloyd E Duso
Diamond-MT
Plant Manager
(814) 535-3505

If I was going to test how much static charge I generated while holding various kinds of paintbrush for conformal coating, what EOS/ESD Association standard method should I use?

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins

For more information please contact helpdesk at x2960 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ______________________________________________________________________