TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 07:46:15 -0600
Hi Louis - there are a couple of things that come into play for your wave
solder contaminates question. Contaminates that have densities greater
than tin/lead are going to sink to the bottom of the solder pot and
potentially stay there. A good example often cited in the industry
literature is the iron/tin intermetallic compound FeSn2 that is the result
of tin from the solder combining with a damaged area of a cast iron solder
pot to form the IMC. Luckily, the act of stirring the wave solder pot
provides a huge assist in not having density IMC accumulate and is the
second reaction working in our favor. Tin likes to form IMCs with many
things so many of the potential wave solder pot contaminates are removed
during your solder pot de-drossing actions. Elements like copper,
phosphorus, iron, gold, etc. will get removed as constituents of the
dross. You can't totally rely on de-drossing to eliminate possible
excessive contaminates as some elements (like nickel) do not readily
"dross out". That is why the  IPC-JSTD-001 specification has element
contaminate table limits and some level of periodic testing of you wave
solder pot  should be completed. There is a good chapter on solder
contaminates in the AWS Soldering Handbook (section 2.2) or RJ Kein
Wassink's book Soldering in Electronics (section 4) that may help.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins