TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:25:22 +0200
A very small 2 c worth. I'm all for cryogenic dryers; they are more
reliable than the combination of a mechanical filter and a silica gel
(or other hygroscopic material) filter. Look at the cycle: conventional
adiabatic compression produces dirty, oily, air, at, say 70 degC a
Rootes type compressor likewise, but somewhat less oily. This air can
have a RH of up to 100%, ready to rust your iron pipes as it cools down
and condenses. If you deliberately cool it down to, say, 0 degC, it will
stay at 100% but the vapour pressure will drop from 31.2 kPa to 0.6 kPa,
a 50x reduction. As it warms up again in the pipework, the RH will drop
accordingly. In other words, the absolute humidity will become very
small indeed. If necessary, it may be complemented by an absorption
filter, which will last for ages. I believe there are also sub-zero
cryogenic filters, with automatic de-icing.

Brian