TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 11:23:35 -0500
Can't resist tossing in a few cents here as well.

Many of the plasma cleaners I have worked with over the years allow the
Engineer/Process person to define and set the specific plasma parameters
[times, pressure, gases introduced, RF power, etc.], just as Richard talks
about below.  The operator is only allowed to select from a specific set of
'canned' programs - of course they can select the wrong program, or run the
correct one multiple times....  Sadly, it IS amazing, how creative they can
be at times....

With one of these types of cleaners, the process becomes very repeatable -
so long as the chamber is cleaned on a routine basis.  Since I am not
selling equipment, can I say "March"?

Inge's tale of operator 'optimization' reminds me of an operators attempt at
'speed up' a wire bonder by increasing the speed on the wire despooler
motor.  The third-sift 'optimization' was soon discovered as excess wire
payed out over the work area of the bonder.

Yes, it was gold wire, but that was not the big issue.  There simply is no
place for 'knob turners' in a well controlled manufacturing environment.

Steve C