TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:33:07 -0500
Hi Alan,

Sorry about the delay, but I got your pictures posted. The links are here:

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/QFN_48_pin_pry.jpg

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/QFN_48_pin_reflow.jpg

http://stevezeva.homestead.com/QFN_48_pin_x-ray.jpg

I can't tell a whole lot from the pry.jpg or the reflow.jpg image, but the
x-ray image does intrigue me.

To me, it looks like the QFN was tilted when the x-ray was done. It looks
like it was tilted down at the upper left hand corner with the lower right
hand corner sitting higher.

I say that because if you look at the solder spread on the pads, it seems to
be more consistent along the left hand side than it does anywhere else on
the device. I also see that there seems to be a blob of solder on the
thermal pad down in the lower right hand corner. Also a lot of voids in the
thermal pad area...more than I would like to see.

The solder on the rest of the pads seem very inconsistent...doesn't look
like that would result from a paste print and reflow. Do you know it this
part was reworked ? To me it looks like was...

Steve Gregory