TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Glidden, Kevin
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:23:40 +0000
Thanks, Doug.

1) The coating is LPI.  Not too many people using dry-film anymore, I think. (?)

2) We tested some PCBs with dyne pens, but only on the most recent lot.  The results weren't really conclusive.  60 did not wet, 58 wetted, 56 did not wet, 54 did not wet.  Unfortunately, 54 is the lowest pen I have.

3) Our IPA is 99.98% purity, at least per the test report with our latest receipt.

4) We are using UV cure material with a secondary heat cure for shadowed areas.  We remove masking after UV cure but before heat cure.  I can have them try to remove it while the coating is wet.  I agree, part of the problem is removing the masking.  Once the edges lift around the masked areas, the whole film sheet goes.  I've also wondered about the masking - we use a PVC film with acrylic adhesive.  I don't really know how PVC reacts with UV light, but we do use this masking material quite a bit across the board with no other apparent issues.

I considered the partially uncured soldermask.  It looks ok visually, but I guess that is no indication.  As a test I have asked the techs to run PCBs through the UV curing tunnel prior to coating, with theory being that the UVA 365nm light @ 2,500 mW/cm^2 might bump cure the soldermask.  I'm not sure which particular soldermask brand this is (right now), so I'm assuming it has a UV bump cure ability.

Kevin Glidden
Manufacturing Engineer
Astronics Luminescent Systems Inc.<http://www.astronics.com>