TECHNET Archives

February 2013

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 19:12:03 +0000
I hope I understand your question correctly.
Some flux cored solder wires will spit, especially older types. Usually the
joint area has flux spotting all around, with just a few solder splashes.
This is caused by the flux formulation and the way the wire is made. If you
watch the operators you can occasionally see them pull a foot or two of wire
from the spool and discard it -they have hit a spitting zone, (it can spit
on their fingers as well as the work, so you can't blame them).
.
Why on only one board? Is the wire different? Are you using different iron
settings? If board is difficult to solder maybe the tip temperature are
reset too high in an effort to make soldering easier? OR the joints are
larger which on same diameter wire will require a longer length/feed in
time. These will all exacerbate spitting. Fatter wire, better tip shape
could help.
And yes there are brands /types which have much reduced to no spits, and
reduced smoke. If you are using the same wire you always had, then it might
be a good idea to take a look at more recently introduced types. Some types
of solder wire have remained unchanged for decades, unless you are bound by
similarly ancient specs it might be an idea to look at playing technology
catch-up. :)

Best Wishes

Mike