DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:50:38 -0600
I think there needs to be some distinction made between two separate things:
1) arranging individual boards on a fabrication panel to get the best yield
2) designing an array for assembly, which may require v-scores or breakaway
tabs

The IPC was trying to use consistent terminology to avoid confusion by
calling the bare board fabrication material a "panel", and calling an
assembly array a "pallet". Unfortunately, they added another term called
"Delivered Panel" to mean the same thing, which just adds to the confusion
in my opinion (also, some of the other definitions in IPC-T-50 aren't
consistent, like the one for "breakaway" or "multiple printed board". I
never noticed that until just now!)

Anyway, I think the "panel drawing" that Greg is warning against is the
result of a board designer trying to optimize the yield of the fabrication
panel. I agree with him, you shouldn't waste your time (and probably waste
money in the long run) trying to do that.

However, if you need assembly pallets to add rails to a board or to create
an array of boards that will require operations after the assembly to
separate, you should document that. Do not leave that up to the bare board
fabricator.

onward thru the fog,
Jack