DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Gary Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:19:31 -0800
Our Asia Pacific CM is requesting permission to use punching tools to singulate boards from panels.

My experience with punching tool sets is that their cost outweighs the benefits, but this CM states they can make the tool sets at a beneficial cost.

Our initial reaction is that it's okay, as long as components are not stressed by the punching action of the male die onto the female die, and as long as the exterior board profile dimensions match the Gerbers.

Earlier today I posted about edge spacing, and was also curious whether minimum edge spacing would matter in the world of punched-out boards.

We saw the CM's panel design, and it was a combination of mouse bite and v-score that really didn't look essentially different from what we see without punching tools.

There doesn't seem to be any IPC guidance regarding punching tool accuracy or designing panels for punch.  Any comments welcome.

TIA and Best Regards,

Gary M. Koven, C.I.D.
InVue Security Products

Charlotte, NC, USA