DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Greg Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:01:06 -0800
The answer is, of course: It depends.

The size of the mounting hole, the distance the copper is pulled back
from the hole, and the board material used can all affect the location
of the mask edge. And also your design intent.

You want to be sure the mask does not leave any copper exposed so the
tolerances for your shop/processes determine that.

If the mounting hole is for a typical sized screw it will be large
enough you can have the mask opening dia just a bit smaller than the
hole dia as there will be little chance of the mask clogging the hole.
Do not make the mask opening dia zero as the shop will have to make
there own choice there as a large opening in the screen will mean too
much mask gets squeegied thru and will need to be cleaned off the back
of the screen too often.

If you are using a board material such as teflon, for RF for instance,
do not run the mask to the edge of the hole or beyond (or the edges of
the board). Since the mask does not adhere well to those materials an
edge can be a location where the mask can catch and be easily peeled
back, espcially by hardware going through the hole.

Greg Smith